Just some notes based on reading about the 2012 bombing of Gaza on the English-language Internet. Suggestions are welcomed!
Listed roughly in order from worst to best:
BBC, The New York Times – These were terrible! Warmed-over Israeli propaganda. They:
- Repeat whatever the Israeli government says without challenge and use that as their main source.
- Let Israel set the narrative: Gazan rockets, self-defence, blah, blah. Little about international law, truces broken by Israel, the number of Gazans killed before the bombings, etc.
- Rarely talk to Hamas or any Gazan above a hospital spokesman.
- Tell us about the hardships of Israelis but little about the far worse hardships of Gazans.
- Tell us all about Gazan military hardware but almost nothing about Israeli hardware.
- Act as if both sides are somehow equal, that there is not a giant imbalance between them in military power.
- Use sources without telling us about…